Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Registration is only required if you want to post, and is not needed to read any posts. To avoid excess 'spam' accounts, all accounts where no posts have been made will be deleted after two weeks. Please register again if you wish to post.

Author Topic: New Scenario and Own Ship  (Read 1766 times)

April 26, 2024, 05:08:21 AM
    • View Profile
If I open the Scenario Editor and Create a New Scenario, the Speed of Own Ship is a ridiculously large number (  InitialSpeed=6.96138e+33  ). The Course is 0.

When I change the speed to zero and save the scenario, it does NOT save the new speed. If I go to the ownship.ini file I can see the huge number. If I edit the ini file using notepad then save it is all OK. when I reopen the Editor----but still doesn't save any subsequent changes properly.

In fact, if I change the course to something other than 0.0, the scenario editor does not save that either. It does save a new position if I move ownship so the save function partially works.

Note, with this huge speed in the new scenario (before I discovered this issue),opening the Bridge Command gave very weird results--unsurprisingly !

April 26, 2024, 10:06:13 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, thanks for pointing this out. I think that some of the data in the scenario editor may be uninitialised, which should be simple to fix.

If starting a new scenario, if you set the own ship speed and heading, then click 'Change leg', and save, does it work for you?

April 27, 2024, 07:59:37 AM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
Yes it does. Change the data field then hit Change Leg then hit Save and the appropriate ownship.ini file is modified accordingly. So the only real issue is the default value when the new scenario is created. I have checked briefly and the default decimal value of 6961384356225895000000000000000000.000000 doesn't seem to be a convenient binary (all 1's) or Hex (all F's) number so would be curious to discover where it comes from?

April 29, 2024, 10:21:47 PM
Reply #3
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks. At the moment, to update the scenario with course or speed changes, you need to use the 'Change Leg' button for the 'Own Ship' settings, and either 'Change Leg' or 'Add Leg' button for other ships. In https://github.com/bridgecommand/bc/commit/0c2153d0a4794e1b3bbeaae038abea37e8fd5e51 I have changed this so for the 'Own Ship', the changes will take effect immediately. I have left it unchanged for 'Other Ships', because you may want to be adding a series of 'legs', and type in the values for the next leg.

I think the uninitialised value would depend on many things, as it depends on what happened to be in that memory location before. I have fixed this in https://github.com/bridgecommand/bc/commit/a536c8394efd79c1b06cfcfc23ed92c059b751de

I'm currently aiming to add a few updates to the VR interface, and will then put out an updated release.